It’s always a fall staple to have a hot pot of chili ready to go! But finding a delicious, meat-free recipe is sometimes hard to do since they tend to lose some flavor in favor of the healthier ingredients.
This chili is quick, clean, and bursting with flavor!
Nutritious and delicious are complementary, in our opinion. You have to try this recipe for vegetarian black bean and sweet potato chili because we promise you will NOT be missing out on flavor!
This is super important to me, as a busy mom. I want to be able to feed my kids some great, classic “comfort foods” but without always feeding them heavily meat-based recipes. If it’s a healthy AND convenient food for kids, then it’s a win-win!
Vegetarian recipes are often more time-intensive. This recipe really has my back when it comes to being easy to put together and packed with ingredients to give my kids the nutrition they need!
My favorite part of this recipe is how well it can stand alone. No need for cheese or sour cream – sure, if you’d like, add them, but this chili is bursting with so much flavor you won’t miss them. Perfect if you’re also going for a dairy-free diet!
This recipe has 4 secret ingredients that will truly make you say “wow!” and leave you humming:
- The New Mexico chili powder from Spiceology
- The ¼ cup brewed coffee
- The 2 tbsp honey
- Humming Hemp Oil drizzled on top
Vegetarian Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (our favorite chili powder for this recipe)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey (try our favorite honey for this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Humming Hemp Oil, drizzled to finish
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, saute sweet potatoes and onion in olive oil until crisp-tender.
- Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook a few minutes longer allowing the flavors to infuse.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Drizzle with Humming Hemp Oil.
*The honey we use is raw, unfiltered honey. We adore this honey for the fact that processing can remove many of the beneficial components of honey. Honey is a natural antibacterial, antiseptic, even potentially anti-allergen. We want all of that goodness still in it when we eat it!
*Go for organic ingredients wherever possible. When you’re making clean recipes like this one, you want the cleanest ingredients, too! Choosing organic helps you avoid the risk of high levels of pesticides that cling to the foods during growing and harvesting.
Why we love this vegetarian black bean and sweet potato chili recipe
Obviously this recipe is amazing for the fact that it is vegetarian and flavorful. But it has more hidden benefits than you may realize.
First, this is a super staple recipe to have in your collection if you’re working on adding more plant-based protein into your day.
Second, the Hemp Oil for drizzle is a secret powerful immune booster that you definitely need more of. Did you know some of the benefits of Hemp oil include improving your digestion and helping reduce anxiety? When you’re a busy mom, anything to help keep both your mind and body running smoothly is a welcome friend!
Other hemp recipes you’ll want to try:
When you’ve finished this recipe, post it to Instagram or Pinterest, and tag us @humminghemp! Can’t wait to see your yummy kitchen creations!